Baked Mac N' Cheesy
Servings: 12 Total Cook Time: 45mins
For the mac and cheesy:
- 1 lb large elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cookthe macaroni until al dente, about 6 minutes. Don’t overcook because the pasta will finish cooking in the oven. Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and quickly whisk. Cook for about 3 minutes, whisking frequently, or until smooth and slightly browned. Be careful not to burn the mixture. Add 1 cup of the milk and whisk until well combined and there are no lumps. Add the remaining milk and keep whisking until the mixtures starts to boil.
- Add the 3 cups cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Gently fold the cooked macaroni into the cheese mixture. Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- To make the topping, in a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the panko and/or crushed crackers and stir until the crumbs and crackers are coated in butter. Remove from heat and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over the top of the macaroni and then add the panko cracker topping
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let the mac and cheese rest for 5 minutes before serving.