Seven Delicious and Healthy Snack Ideas
When we think snacks, we automatically assume that it has to be chocolate, decadent, and unhealthy. However, with a little research and a little more creativity, we can have delicious and healthy. In other words, we can have our cake and eat it too.
When thinking healthy, we can always turn to Mother Nature for some great ideas. When thinking delicious, we can use our creativity to incorporate delicious with healthy.
1. Trail mix – Trail mix generally got its name from the simple fact that hikers would munch on this mix of fruit, nuts, and seeds in an effort to keep their energy levels high while hiking. However, Trail mix has come a long, long way. Nuts of any variety such as almonds, walnuts, and cashews and shelled pistachios have replaced the typical peanut in trail mixes. Cranberries, dried apricots, and raisins give trail mix an added boost of energy and a delightfully sweet taste. The best thing about trail mix nowadays is that things like pure maple honey are added to give it a knockout sweet and salty taste.
2. Cheese – While some cheeses are higher in fat content than others, if you do your homework, you can find a satisfying cheese that is low in calories and tasty all at once. Brie cheese, for example, offers under 50 calories for a ½-ounce chunk.
3. Strawberries and cream – Strawberries offer an automatic, free of charge sweetness and with a little fat-free whipped topping, you have got yourself the makings of a delicious and healthy snack with very little maintenance included.
4. Apples and peanut butter – An oldie but goodie, apple slices with peanut butter makes a superb healthy snack packed with protein and vitamins. For variety, try different types of apples such as Granny Smith for a sweet and sour snack sure to please both sides of your taste buds.
5. Dip into healthy dip – A dip made up of salsa, black beans, fat-free sour cream, and guacamole is very low in calories and high in protein. The guacamole and salsa offer additional vegetables into our diet, and dipping into this dip will not be a guilty pleasure at all. For a little extra zip, add low-fat or fat-free shredded cheese on top.
6. Potato skins – Potato skins have all the vitamins and minerals and get the least credit. They can be stuffed with any variety of things such as low-fat or fat-free cheese and low-fat sour cream, topped with chives, olives, and tomatoes. These are a satisfying yet healthy snack for an appetizer or party, or just for anytime.
7. Potato chips – You can most certainly make your own version of healthy potato chips, either in the microwave or in a frying pan. Frying your own sliced potato chips with olive oil is a healthier alternative as well. Adding extra flavor such as vinegar or parmesan cheese really gives these homemade healthy treats a kick of flavor.
By snacking on things such as these chips and dips, you allow yourself a treat that is both healthy and delicious rolled into one.